TestRail – Jama Connect Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as TestRail and Jama Connect bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. By integrating TestRail and Jama Connect, enterprises can seamlessly manage product development and customer issues at a faster pace.
How TestRail – Jama Connect integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Enhance collaboration between business and backend teams
- Freedom to leverage the best tool for a process
- Access to QA plans and defects in real time
- Real-time insights into the test plans, test processes, test cases, and test results
- Complete context of the customer requirement and priorities
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates TestRail and Jama Connect
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates TestRail and Jama Connect bi-directionally. It ensures that all data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. The test cases written by QA team in TestRail are integrated with corresponding requirement in Jama Connect. Therefore, the product management team using Jama Connect has complete access to the test cases for each requirement in TestRail from Jama Connect itself. product management team using Jama Connect also logs a test case against the same requirement based on a customer-provided scenario. The cross-team visibility created by Jama Connect – TestRail integration ensures that the quality checks of the product being developed are thorough and the teams involved in the process have seamless communication.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: TestRail Integration With Jama Connect
Problem statement: As the test management system and requirement management system are not integrated, the product teams using the requirement management system don’t have visibility into the testing progress. Lack of this information impacts their overall management of the application lifecycle.
Solution: Integrating Jama Connect and TestRail helps product team get real-time insights into the testing progress and efficiently manage the application lifecycle.
- The test team creates a Test Suite in TestRail for carrying out tests on multiple requirements. The Test Suite synchronizes to Jama Connect as a Test Plan. The Test Plan gives visibility to the product team into the QA timelines.
- The test team then creates Test Sections within the Test Suite to logically bifurcate different kinds of tests. The Test Sections synchronize to Jama Connect as Test Groups.
- The test team, then writes Cases (and includes them within the respective Test Sections). The cases synchronize to Jama Connect as Test Cases. The Product Manager, at this stage, can provide suggestions to the test team in case he/she sees a scope of improvement.
- The test team, then, starts executing the Tests by creating Test Run of the related Test Suite. The Test Run (which consists of multiple tests) synchronizes to Jama Connect as Test Cycle. The Tests from Test Rail synchronize to Jama Connect as a Test Run.
- When the test team completes the execution of the Test Run or finishes a particular Test, they update the Test Result (s) and that result value is updated in Status field (Steps) of Test Run in Jama Connect.
Benefits of integration for TestRail and Jama Connect users
- Visibility into the customer requirements and priorities through updates made by product management team
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on the QA cycle and reports
Jama Connect users
- Clear visibility into quality parameters and test results from Jama Connect itself in real-time
- No manual efforts needed to keep QA team abreast with the updates in customer priorities or business goals