GitLab Integration with Jira
GitLab and Jira integration ensures complete traceability for all work items across the ecosystem. Additionally, project management and development teams automatically receive notifications about all the changes made to a bug’s status or the codebase.
Schedule a free 30-minute live demo with our integration experts
GitLab – Jira Integration Overview
In the multi-tool ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between cross-functional teams play an important role. While the choice of systems impacts a team’s productivity, cross-functional collaboration enables teams to make better decisions faster.
Best-of-breed systems such as GitLab and Jira integration leverages the overall functionality of the ecosystem. Moreover, it makes the development team’s work easier and faster. With GitLab and Jira integration, it’s easier to keep track of the commit trends and meet the compliance requirements at the same time. Additionally, it reduces the dependency on manual communication to update cross-functional teams.
How GitLab – Jira integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Shortens the delivery lifecycle, streamlines manual processes, and improves team’s performance
- Track commit volume, commit trends and changes to commit files in real-time
- Authenticates commits to make sure each commit is happening against a scheduled and open work item
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates GitLab and Jira
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Jira and GitLab bi-directionally. As a result, all data is available to the users, in their preferred systems, with full context, in real-time. The project management team can track all the details related to a commit made against a work item in GitLab from Jira itself. OIM syncs the commit details to Jira in various ways:
- Synchronize every commit as a separate work item linked to the work item against which commit happens
- Synchronize commit details as comment to the work item against which commit happens
- Change work item field like ‘close a work item’ when commit comments contain a pre-defined user
The development team using GitLab can also use advanced features such as the Issue Board feature to streamline all issues coming in from Jira.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: GitLab Integration with Jira
Problem statement: No control on backlogs getting committed – therefore, anyone can commit on a defect that is not even present in the active sprint.
- A developer works on a ‘defect’ in Jira and runs a test case against it. The test case passes.
- The developer then commits against the ‘defect’ in GitLab.
- The status of the commit synchronizes to jira.
Benefits of integration for GitLab and Jira users
- Able to trace back commit to its respective work item at any given point in time from GitLab itself.
- Enforced checkpoints ensure that users/developers don’t miss any mandatory steps while committing. This leads to high success rate for commits.
- Complete traceability into source code from Jira itself
- No manual intervention required to close work items in Jira after a successful commit in GitLab