JIRA – Azure DevOps (VSTS) Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as JIRA and Azure DevOps (VSTS) bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. By integrating Azure DevOps (VSTS) with JIRA, enterprises can seamlessly manage product development. The developers using JIRA will have clear visibility into the exact feature requirements and real-time access to any changes/enhancements made to the requirements. On the other hand, Azure DevOps (VSTS) users will have complete view into development of a requirement is progressing.
How Azure DevOps (VSTS) – JIRA integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Access to all test cases, defects, and QA plan
- Trace the requirement breakdown completely – access the features, stories, tasks associated with the requirement
- Developers are always up-to-date on feature requirements and associated updates
- Track the estimated and actual development efforts
- Get complete context of the business requirement and receive real-time updates when there is a change in the plan
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
With Azure DevOps (VSTS) + JIRA integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates JIRA and Azure DevOps (VSTS)
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Azure DevOps (VSTS) and JIRA bi-directionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘requirements’ from Azure DevOps (VSTS) automatically synchronize to JIRA where they are broken down to ‘stories’. The completion of the story and the status of test results against it automatically synchronizes to Azure DevOps (VSTS).
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: JIRA integration with Azure DevOps (VSTS)
Problem statement: Development team uses JIRA and project management team uses Azure DevOps (VSTS). Both teams collaborate manually to exchange data and insights. This leads to miscommunication at multiple times.
Solution: When JIRA and Azure DevOps (VSTS) are bi-directionally integrated using OpsHub Integration Manager, there is no scope for communication gaps or miscommunication between project management and development teams.
- The Project Manager logs a ‘feature’ in Azure DevOps (VSTS). The features synchronize to JIRA.
- The development team breaks the feature down into ‘user stories’ in JIRA.
- When the development team completes work on the ‘user stories’ and mark the ‘feature’ as complete, the status of ‘feature’ also synchronizes to JIRA.
- In case the QA team reports a ‘defect’, the development team logs the ‘defect’ in JIRA, the ‘defect’ also synchronizes to Azure DevOps (VSTS). The Project Manager, is therefore, always up-to-date with progress of a requirement.
Benefits of integration for JIRA and Azure DevOps (VSTS) users
Azure DevOps (VSTS) users
- Traceability for business requirements throughout
the ALM tool chain
- Access to complete development plan
- Visibility into the progress of development work
- No dependency on manual communication for
making business decisions
- Real-time updates on feature requirements and associated changes/enhancements
- Clear visibility into quality parameters and test results from JIRA itself
- No manual efforts needed to keep product management teams updated on the development status