The need for migration
The purpose of successful data migration is to ensure that organizations always work with accurate data. Accurate data mitigates the risk of delays, bad quality products, and budget overruns.
With new innovative tools being released in the marketplace which can significantly improve productivity and/or help create differentiated products and services, there is a need for users to migrate from one tool to another. Other business reasons that necessitate the need for migration are:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Regulatory and Compliance adherence
- Tools consolidation within the organization
- Reorganization within a large enterprise
Enterprises spend millions of dollars to migrate data and despite this investment, migration exercise is rarely successful. Poor migration will lead to loss in productivity and sub-optimal decisions in future due to loss in data fidelity. It also leads to:
- Significant system downtime leading to idle expensive resources
- Increased time-to-market
- Cost and time overruns in the project
Migrating large size data with history from a legacy system on to a new system
- A leading organization in the engineering and geospatial software space wanted to replace its 10+ year old ALM system and adopt a new system to improve processes and productivity.
- However, as the company was using the current system for a long time – the system had reasonably large amount of data and user profiles.
- Compliance requirements necessitated that data had to be migrated with complete traceability and history.
- Since the system was a business-critical system, avoiding downtime was desired.
- High volume of data
- Large number of activeusers
- Maintaining traceability
- Minimizing systemdowntime as muchas possible
This is a sample case study for migration. There can be multiple such case studies. You can read a few of them in our Case Studies section.
How migration solutions from OpsHub facilitate migration
OpsHub offers comprehensive migration solution for all data migration needs. The two migration solutions from OpsHub, OpsHub Visual Studio Migration Utility (OVSMU) and OpsHub Integration Manager are designed keeping in mind the large-scale data migration needed in an enterprise-level migration. OpsHub solutions offer zero down time migrations.
OpsHub Visual Studio Migration Utility (OVSMU): OVSMU is a migration utility that helps in comprehensive and cost-effective transfer of data with full context exclusively between Microsoft ecosystem: Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (VSTS) as well as TFS and TFS, VSTS and VSTS, and VSTS and TFS.
OVSMU supports the 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015 versions of TFS and all versions of Visual Studio Online, including the 2017 version.
Read More about OVSMU and its features.
OpsHub Integration Manager: OpsHub Integration Manager not only helps integrate 50+ ALM, DevOps, ITSM and CRM systems, it also migrates data between these systems. Whether the need is to migrate data from a legacy test to a modern, agile test system, or consolidate all requirements on to one requirement management system, OpsHub Integration Manager supports migration of all kinds with complete history and audit trail as far back a system’s inception.
Read More about OpsHub Integration Manager and its features.
Look at the systems supported by OpsHub Integration Manager.
Why choose migration solutions from OpsHub
High data fidelity post migration
Error-free data migration even in case of system disparities
History and traceability for all migrated data
Ensures rich traceability to meet all compliance
No need to revisit old system ever
No system downtime during migration
Allows use of both the systems simultaneously
even when migration is in progress
Robust recovery and reconciliation mechanism
In case of a failure, starts migration from where
it was left off