Jira and ServiceNow Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) environment, the choice of systems, and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role in delivering quality solutions. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as Jira and ServiceNow bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. By integrating Jira with ServiceNow, enterprises can diminish collaboration barriers between development and customer service teams that otherwise lead to quality issues, delivery delays, and financial loss.
How Jira and ServiceNow integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Real-time access to customer issues and priorities
- Communication on the workitems from the native systems itself
- Real-time updates when a customer issue is resolved
With Jira and ServiceNow integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Jira and ServiceNow
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Jira and ServiceNow bidirectionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘tickets’ from ServiceNow automatically synchronize to Jira and all the entities and details associated with the ‘tickets’ synchronize back to Jira.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: Jira integration with ServiceNow
Problem statement: The support team receives a ticket from a customer, which it identifies as a ‘defect’, and sends to the development team for resolution. The development team responds that the ‘identified defect’ is a ‘known defect’, and is in process of resolution before the next release.
Solution: When Jira and ServiceNow are bidirectionally integrated using OpsHub Integration Manager, the status of this defect would have already synchronized to ‘ServiceNow’ as ‘In Progress’ along with the expected resolution date. The response to customer could have been faster.
- Multiple customers report similar issues related to the product.
- The support team identifies these tickets and reports them as a ‘problem’ to the backend team.
- The development team identifies a ‘defect’ in the solution. They add a comment to the ‘defect’ stating that it will be resolved in the next release (and expected date).
- The support team receives the information as ‘comments’ in ServiceNow.
- When a new customer logs a ticket asking for resolution of the same defect, the support team immediately responds to the customer stating that the ‘defect’ is being resolved and the customers will have a solution by the next release.
Frequently Asked Questions
Customer Support engineers use ServiceNow to process critical bugs and improvement requests from customers whereas developers use Jira for work execution and issue tracking. By integrating ITSM tools such as ServiceNow and task management software such as Jira, enterprises can prioritize development based on the most critical issues and requests from the customer.
Jira and ServiceNow integration help the customer support engineers and developers collaborate better, in real time by:
- Eliminating manual, error-prone ways of information exchange
- Improving cross-team collaboration and communication
- Enhancing visibility of ticket status and IT workflows
Enabling close collaboration between teams using Jira and ServiceNow, leads to faster resolution of the most critical customer priorities, and a sharper focus on the most valuable change requests or enhancements required.
Some popularly synchronized entities between ServiceNow and Jira include Problem, Enhancement/ Change Request/Improvement Request, Bug for ITSM/Service Desk and Feature, and Epic and Story for ServiceNow Project & Portfolio Management(PPM).
- Product Defect Collaboration
The synchronization of customer problems from ServiceNow to Jira helps identify the most critical problems, reducing the overall cycle times for problem resolution.
- Enhancements or Change Requests Collaboration
Product and development teams using Jira gain full visibility into the customer priorities and requests for feature enhancements logged in ServiceNow. This visibility and transparency lead to better prioritization of feature enhancements, improving the overall customer satisfaction.
- Enhanced Visibility into Epic and Story for Portfolio Management and Development teams
The portfolio management team will have visibility in the progress of Epic synced to Jira from their system. Similarly, the development team will have clear visibility of the Epic and its priority in ServiceNow Project & Portfolio Management from their native system. This, in turn, will enhance collaboration between the two teams, leading to faster resolution of customer issues.
- Elimination of slow, manual, error-prone ways of copying/synchronizing information between ServiceNow and Jira
- Improved cross-team transparency, traceability and collaboration resulting in improved velocity and resolution times
- Complete visibility into the change requests and problem requests/customer issues and priorities
- Greater customer satisfaction
Therefore, a fully automated bidirectional sync between ServiceNow and Jira enables support and development teams in faster decision-making.
Benefits of integration for Jira and ServiceNow users
- Traceability for business requirements throughout
the ALM tool chain
- Visibility into customer issues and priorities
- No dependency on manual communication for
- Access to the business requirements and associated updates from within ServiceNow
- Easy to categorize and transfer customer tickets to Jira
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on customer issues and priorities