JIRA – ServiceNow Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) environment, the choice of systems, and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role in delivering quality solutions. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as JIRA and ServiceNow bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. By integrating JIRA with ServiceNow, enterprises can diminish collaboration barriers between development and customer service teams that otherwise lead to quality issues, delivery delays, and financial loss.
How JIRA – ServiceNow integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Real-time access to customer issues and priorities
- Communication on the workitems from the native systems itself
- Real-time updates when a customer issue is resolved
With JIRA + ServiceNow integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates JIRA and ServiceNow
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates JIRA and ServiceNow bidirectionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘tickets’ from ServiceNow automatically synchronize to JIRA and all the entities and details associated with the ‘tickets’ synchronize back to JIRA.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: JIRA integration with ServiceNow
Problem statement: The support team receives a ticket from a customer, which it identifies as a ‘defect’, and sends to the development team for resolution. The development team responds that the ‘identified defect’ is a ‘known defect’, and is in process of resolution before the next release.
Solution: When JIRA and ServiceNow are bi-directionally integrated using OpsHub Integration Manager, the status of this defect would have already synchronized to ‘ServiceNow’ as ‘In Progress’ along with the expected resolution date. The response to customer could have been faster.
- Multiple customers report similar issues related to the product.
- The support team identifies these tickets and reports them as a ‘problem’ to the backend team.
- The development team identifies a ‘defect’ in the solution. They add a comment to the ‘defect’ stating that it will be resolved in the next release (and expected date).
- The support team receives the information as ‘comments’ in ServiceNow.
- When a new customer logs a ticket asking for resolution of the same defect, the support team immediately responds to the customer stating that the ‘defect’ is being resolved and the customers will have a solution by the next release.
Benefits of integration for JIRA and ServiceNow users
- Traceability for business requirements throughout
the ALM tool chain
- Visibility into customer issues and priorities
- No dependency on manual communication for
- Access to the business requirements and associated updates from within ServiceNow
- Easy to categorize and transfer customer tickets to JIRA
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on customer issues and priorities