The integration of Helix ALM with JIRA to increases collaboration between the development and quality control teams. This, in turn, helps enterprises create quality products faster.
Helix ALM JIRA Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) environment, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role in delivering quality solutions. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements. Best-of-breed systems such as Helix ALM and JIRA bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem.
By integrating Helix ALM and JIRA, the development teams will have real-time visibility into the test cases, QA schedule, and test results, and the quality control team will have access to complete context of the user story as well as any change/enhancement to it. When these two teams collaborate seamlessly, the overall collaboration in the ecosystem increases and enterprises deliver better quality products to customers at a faster pace.
How Helix ALM – JIRA integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Access to QA plans and defects in real time
- Real-time updates on the status of a story, its estimated time of delivery, and any risks that might delay the impending release
- Complete context of the customer requirement and visibility into codes written by the development team & test cases written by QA team
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
With Helix ALM + JIRA integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Helix ALM and JIRA
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Helix ALM and JIRA bidirectionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘user stories’ from JIRA automatically synchronize to Helix ALM and all the defects associated with the ‘story’ synchronize back to JIRA.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: Helix ALM integration with JIRA
Problem statement: The development team creates user stories in JIRA – which is the development system and replicate the same in Helix TCM (test module in Helix ALM) – which is the test system for quality control team. The defects are created in Helix TCM and then replicated in JIRA. It takes a lot of time and effort.
Solution: When Helix ALM and JIRA are integrated, there will not be any duplication of efforts and the data between both the systems will synchronize in real time.
- The development team creates a ‘user story’ in JIRA.
- The ‘user story’ synchronizes to Helix TCM as Issue Type ‘Requirement’.
- The quality control team writes test cases according to the requirement.
- When the development team completes work on the user story and changes its status to ‘complete’, the quality control team runs the test cases against the user story.
- The quality control team finds a defect during test and logs it as Issue Type ‘Defect’. The quality control team associates this defect with the corresponding requirement.
- The defect synchronizes as a ‘defect’ to the corresponding user story in JIRA with all details.
Benefits of integration for Helix ALM and JIRA users
Helix ALM users
- Real-time updates on the story and associated changes/enhancements
- Access to the development status from within Helix ALM
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on the QA cycle and reports
- No duplication of efforts for entering the same data in multiple systems
- Clear visibility into quality parameters and test results in real time
- No manual efforts needed to keep quality control teams updated on the development cycle