ServiceNow – Jira Integration
Customer experience and satisfaction is at the heart of enterprise success. To ensure that customer needs are aligned with development and delivery pipelines, customer support and development/QA teams need access to complete information in the right tool at the right time. The integration of Jira with ServiceNow helps the customer service and development teams communicate efficiently, in real-time. This, in turn, helps resolve the customer issues faster.
Schedule a free 30-minute live demo with our integration experts
Customer support engineers use ServiceNow to track and process bugs and improvement requests from customers. Similarly, developers use Jira for issue tracking and work execution. Both Jira and ServiceNow are best-of-breed tools preferred by teams to leverage rich functionality in the development lifecycle. Integrating ServiceNow with Jira helps enterprises break information silos, helping teams to make informed decisions, prioritize tickets and defect requests accurately and accelerate customer response time.
The bi-directional and automated integration between ServiceNow and Jira eliminates communication gaps and barriers between customer support and development teams. This in turn, helps customer support engineers to track the status of customer requests accurately, and development teams to prioritize the most critical issues, resolving tickets faster and more efficiently.
How ServiceNow and Jira integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Real-time access to customer issues and priorities
- Elimination of slow and tedious manual exchange of data
- Communication on work items from team members’ preferred systems
- Improved visibility of ticket status and IT workflows
- Real-time updates when a customer issue is resolved
- Accelerated customer response time
With Jira and ServiceNow integration, enterprises can:
- Empower teams to act confidently
- Get full context of customer requirements
- Make informed decisions on customer priorities
- Accelerate customer response time
- Improve customer satisfaction scores
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates ServiceNow and Jira
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Jira and ServiceNow bidirectionally. It ensures that complete information from each tool is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘tickets’ from ServiceNow automatically synchronize to Jira and all the entities and details associated with the ‘tickets’ synchronize back to Jira.
Popularly synchronized entities
By integrating ServiceNow and Jira, teams can make timely and effective decisions based on rich information and comprehensive insights. Eliminating manual dependency for exchange of information between customer support and development teams improves collaboration, visibility and response times, accelerating response times and customer satisfaction.
Use Case: ServiceNow integration with Jira
Problem statement: The support team receives a ticket from a customer. The support engineer classifies the ticket as a ‘defect’ or ‘enhancement’ and shares it with the development team for resolution. The development team responds that the ‘identified defect’ is a ‘known defect’ and is in process of resolution before the next release.
Solution: When Jira and ServiceNow are bi-directionally integrated using OpsHub Integration Manager, the status of this defect would have already synchronized to ‘ServiceNow’ as ‘In Progress’ along with the expected resolution date. The response to customers could have been faster.
- Multiple customers report similar issues related to the product.
- The support team identifies these tickets and reports them as a ‘problem’ to the backend team.
- The development team identifies a ‘defect’ in the solution. They add a comment to the ‘defect’ stating that it will be resolved in the next release (and expected date).
- The support team receives the information as ‘comments’ in ServiceNow.
- When a new customer logs a ticket asking for resolution of the same defect, the support team immediately responds to the customer stating that the ‘defect’ is being resolved and the customers will have a solution by the next release.
Frequently Asked Questions
Customer support teams use ServiceNow to process critical bugs and improvement requests from customers, while developers use Jira for work execution and issue tracking. Integrating issue tracking tools such as Jira and ESM or ITSM tools such as ServiceNow empowers teams to act faster, prioritize development on the most important customer requests and issues.
The bi-directional integration between ServiceNow and Jira helps the customer support engineers and developers access complete information in their preferred tool to:
- Avoid manual error-prone ways of information exchange
- Make informed decisions based on real-time information
- Improve cross-team collaboration and transparency
- Enhance visibility of ticket status and IT workflows
The close collaboration between support engineers using ServiceNow and developers using Jira leads to faster resolution of the most critical customer priorities, and a sharper focus on the most valuable change requests or enhancements required.
Automated integration between ServiceNow and Jira integration offers a few important use cases to sync incidents, problem requests and change requests. Popularly synchronized entities include Problem, Enhancement/ Change Request/Improvement Request, Bug for ITSM/Service Desk and Feature, and Epic and Story for ServiceNow Project & Portfolio Management (PPM).
It covers the following scenarios:
- Product Defect Collaboration
The automated sync of customer issues from ServiceNow to Jira enables developers to prioritize the most critical problems, reducing the overall response times and accelerating resolution.
- Change Requests Collaboration
Product and development teams using Jira gain complete information enabling them focus on customer priorities and requests for feature enhancements logged in ServiceNow. This visibility and transparency lead to better prioritization of feature enhancements, improving customer satisfaction and experience.
- Improved Visibility into Epic and Story for Portfolio Management and Development teams
The portfolio management team gains full visibility into the progress of Epics synced to Jira from their system. Similarly, developers will have clear visibility of the Epic and its priority in ServiceNow Project & Portfolio Management from within Jira. This improves collaboration between the two teams, leading to faster resolution of issues.
Benefits of integration for ServiceNow and Jira users
- Traceability for business requirements throughout
the ALM tool chain
- Visibility into customer issues and priorities
- No dependency on manual communication for
- Access to the business requirements and associated updates from within ServiceNow
- Easy to categorize and transfer customer tickets to Jira
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on customer issues and priorities