Helix Core – Helix ALM & ServiceNow Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as Helix Core, Helix ALM, and ServiceNow bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. When Helix Core is integrated with Helix ALM and ServiceNow, all stakeholders have real-time visibility into the commits made by the development team. It is also easier to enforce authentic commits against each work item, and access the changes/edits made to the commit files from Helix ALM itself.
How Helix Core – Helix ALM – ServiceNow integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Track commit volume, track commit trends and edits/changes to commit files in real time
- Enforce authentic commits to make sure each commit is happening against a scheduled and open workitem
- Eliminate manual effort to close workitems in Helix ALM and ServiceNow by automating the state transition on Helix Core commit
With Helix Core, Helix ALM, and ServiceNow integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Helix Core, Helix ALM, and ServiceNow
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Helix Core, Helix ALM, and ServiceNow – each system with the other bi-directionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All the details related to a commit made against a work-item in Helix ALM can be tracked from Helix ALM itself. For example, for each commit that development team makes in Helix Core, Helix Core synchronizes a ‘commit entity’ linked to the specific requirement id back to Helix ALM. Each ‘commit entity’ includes information such as ‘who did the commit?’, ‘when was the commit done?’, and ‘which part of the code was committed?’. The support team, using ServiceNow is also up-to-date with the status of a ticket (incident, problem, or defect) raised by a customer.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: Helix Core integration with Helix ALM and ServiceNow
Problem statement: Lack of commit traceability means development and support teams must manually update their systems after successful commit against a workitem.
Solution: If Helix ALM, Helix Core, and ServiceNow are integrated using OpsHub Integration Manager, the build results will be automatically synchronized to all the integrated systems.
- A support team member logs an incident in ServiceNow.
- The development team traces it as a ‘defect’ in Helix ALM.
- The development team works on the ‘defect’ in Helix ALM and commits the changes against the ‘defect’ in Helix Core.
- OpsHub Integration Manager synchronizes the commit information to Helix ALM with the associated defect.
- The change also reflects in ServiceNow.
Benefits of integration for Helix Core, Helix ALM, and ServiceNow
Helix ALM & SeviceNow users
- Visibility into the volume, quality of commits, and commit trends in real-time
- Reduced dependency on manual communication to track the completion of a task
- Access and real-time updates to the development & commit status
- Complete traceability of work-items
Helix Core users
- Each commit can be traced back to its respective workitem at any given point in time from Helix Core itself
- Enforced checkpoints ensure that no mandatory steps/checks are missed while making a commit – this leads to high success rate for commits