JIRA DOORS NG Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as IBM Rational DOORS NG and JIRA bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. By integrating IBM Rational DOORS NG and JIRA, the development teams will have real-time visibility into business requirements, and the product management teams will be able to trace all user stories and test cases associated with the requirement. As the overall collaboration in the ecosystem would increase, enterprises will deliver better quality products to customers at a faster pace.
How JIRA – DOORS NG integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Track the estimated and actual development effort
- Trace the requirement breakdown completely – access the features, tasks, sub-tasks associated with the requirement
- Get complete context of the business requirement and receive real-time updates when there is a change in the plan
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
- Get full traceability into the Quality Assurance (QA) reports from both systems
With JIRA + IBM Rational DOORS NG integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates JIRA and IBM Rational DOORS NG
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates IBM Rational DOORS NG and JIRA bi-directionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘requirements’ from IBM Rational DOORS NG automatically synchronize to JIRA and all the details associated with the ‘requirement’ synchronize back to IBM Rational DOORS NG.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: JIRA integration with IBM Rational DOORS NG
Problem statement: When the development and requirement management systems are not integrated, any additional update to the ‘requirement’ must be manually notified to the development team.
Solution: When JIRA and DOORS NG are integrated, any update to a ‘requirement’ in DOOR NG will be automatically notified to the development team in real time. This will help them with buffer time to internally reschedule the tasks and no updates would ever fall through the cracks.
- The Requirement Management team creates a ‘requirement’ for a feature requested by the customer in the Requirement Management system – DOORS NG.
- The Product Manager approves the ‘requirement’.
- The ‘requirement’ synchronizes to the development system, JIRA, as a ‘user story’.
- The development team breaks the ‘requirement’ into ‘tasks’ and starts work on the ‘tasks’.
- Meanwhile, the customer adds a small additional request (for example, additional of a new text field) to be included in the ‘requirement’.
- The Requirement Management team updates the ‘requirement’. This update automatically gets notified to the development team as the ‘additional request’ gets synchronized to the user story.
- The development team plans for this additional task.
Benefits of integration for JIRA and IBM Rational DOORS NG users
- Complete context of the business requirements
- Real-time updates for any changes to the requirements or delivery timelines
- No manual efforts needed to keep product management teams updated on the development status
IBM Rational DOORS NG users
- Traceability for business requirements throughout
the ALM tool chain
- Visibility into the progress of development work
- No dependency on manual communication for
making business decisions