DOORS NG Git Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration brings in collective wisdom to take better decisions, faster. Best-of-breed systems such as IBM Rational DOORS NG and Git bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. An integration between IBM Rational DOORS NG and Git will provide complete traceability for all the requirements. This will not only help in quickly procuring all details related to the requirements later, but also help fulfil even the most stringent regulatory compliance requirements.
How DOORS NG – Git integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Track commit volume, track commit trends and edits/changes to commit files in real time
- Enforce authentic commits to make sure each commit is happening against a scheduled and open workitem
With IBM Rational DOORS NG + Git integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates IBM Rational DOORS NG and Git
OpsHub Integration Manager provides bi-directional integration between IBM Rational DOORS NG and Git. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All the details related to a commit made against are requirement in IBM Rational DOORS NG can be tracked from IBM Rational DOORS NG itself. For example, for each commit that development team makes in Git, Git synchronizes a ‘commit entity’ linked to the specific requirement id back to IBM Rational DOORS NG. Each ‘commit entity’ includes information such as ‘who did the commit?’, ‘when was the commit done?’,and ‘which part of the code was committed?’.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: IBM Rational DOORS NG integration with Git
Problem statement:Problem statement: The product management team doesn’t have visibility into the commit trends and volume. Lack of commit traceability can also lead to compliance issues.
Solution:If DOORS NG and Git are integrated using OpsHub Integration Manager, there will be complete traceability for each requirement in the ecosystem.
- The Product Manager creates a ‘business requirement’ in DOORS NG.
- The development team works on the requirement, tests it, and then commits it in Git against the ‘requirement id’ specified in DOORS NG.
- For each commit that happens from the development team, OpsHub Integration Manager synchronizes a ‘commit entity’ linked to the specific requirement id back to DOORS NG. Each ‘commit entity’ includes information such as ‘who did the commit?’, ‘when was the commit done?’, and ‘which part of the code was committed?’.
Benefits of integration for IBM Rational DOORS NG and Git users
IBM Rational DOORS NG users
- Complete traceability from IBM Rational DOORS NG to code base in Git
- Real-time visibility into the progress and quality of development work
- Reduced dependency on manual communication to track the completion of a requirement
- Each commit traced back to its respective workitem at any given point in time from Git itself
- Enforced checkpoints ensure high success rate for commits
- Reduced dependency on manual communication to share information related to each commit