Micro Focus ALM Integration with Azure DevOps
Micro Focus ALM (Formerly known as Micro Focus ALM / QC and Micro Focus ALM Octane) and Azure DevOps (Both Azure DevOps Server and Services, also known as TFS and VSTS) help in bringing the Product Development and Quality Assurance (QA) teams on the same page. As both, teams have visibility into each other’s tasks and complete context of customer expectations, the quality of the product is better and the delivery cycle is shorter.
Schedule a free 30-minute live demo with our integration experts
Micro Focus ALM / QC (Formerly known as HP ALM / QC)
- SaaS: 15.x,
- On-Premise: 10.0*, 11.0*, 11.5, 11.5x, 12.0, 12.2, 12.5, 12.52, 12.53, 12.55, 12.6, 15.x, 16.x, 17.x
Micro Focus ALM Octane (Formerly known as HP ALM Octane)
Azure DevOps Server (Also known as TFS)
- 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 (up to Update 3), 2017, 2017 (Update 2), 2018, 2019, 2020
Azure DevOps Services (Also known as VSTS)
Micro Focus ALM – Azure DevOps Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems, and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as Micro Focus ALM( Also known as Micro Focus ALM / QC and Micro Focus ALM Octane) Azure DevOps (Both Azure DevOps Server and Services, also known as TFS and VSTS) and bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. Integration of Azure DevOps with Micro Focus ALM ensures that the Development and QA teams are on the same page when it comes to delivery timelines and has complete visibility into each other’s tasks.
How Micro Focus ALM – Azure DevOps Integration is Beneficial for an Enterprise
- Access to QA plans and defects in real time
- Real-time updates on the status of a story, its estimated time of delivery, and any risks that might delay the impending release
- Complete context of the customer requirement and visibility into codes written by the Development team & test cases
written by QA team
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
With Micro Focus ALM + Azure DevOps integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager Integrates Micro Focus ALM and Azure DevOps
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Micro Focus ALM (Also known as Micro Focus ALM / QC and Micro Focus ALM Octane) and Azure DevOps (Both Azure DevOps Server and Services, also known as TFS and VSTS) bi-directionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘user stories’ from Azure DevOps automatically synchronize to Micro Focus ALM. The completion of the story and the status of test results in Micro Focus ALM against these user stories automatically synchronizes to Azure DevOps.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: Micro Focus ALM Integration with Azure DevOps
Problem statement: The communication between the Development team and Quality Control team happens manually. For example, status of a requirement or the results of a test case are to be communicated either through email or phone.
Solution: When Micro Focus ALM (Also known as Micro Focus ALM / QC and Micro Focus ALM Octane) and Azure DevOps (Both Azure DevOps Server and Services, also known as TFS and VSTS) are bi-directionally integrated, both the teams will be have visibility into each other’s task from their own systems.
- The Product Manager creates a ‘requirement’ in Azure DevOps, and attaches a screenshot that includes communication details from the customer.
- The development team receives the ‘requirements’ and starts work on it.
- The ‘requirement’ also syncs to Micro Focus ALM.
- The QA team creates ‘test cases’ against the ‘requirement’ and link the ‘test cases’ to the ‘requirement’.
- Once the development team completes work on the ‘requirement’, it changes the status of ‘requirements’ in Azure DevOps to ‘closed’.
- The QA team runs the ‘test case’ against the closed ‘requirement’. If the ‘test cases’ passes, the QA team changes the status of ‘requirements’ in Micro Focus ALM to complete, which automatically updates the status of ‘requirements’ in Azure DevOps. If the ‘test cases’ fails, the QA team analyzes the issue and logs a ‘defect’ in Micro Focus ALM, which reopens the status of ‘requirements’ in Azure DevOps.
Benefits of Integration for Micro Focus ALM and Azure DevOps Users
Micro Focus ALM Users
- Real-time updates on the story and associated changes/enhancements
- Access to the business requirements, development status, and associated updates from within Micro Focus ALM
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on the QA cycle and reports
Azure DevOps Users
- No duplication of efforts for entering the same data in multiple systems
- Clear visibility into quality parameters, QA schedule, test cases, and test results
- No dependency on manual communication for making decisions