Azure DevOps (VSTS) Micro Focus ALM/QC Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as Azure DevOps (VSTS) and Micro Focus ALM/QC bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. Integration of Azure DevOps (VSTS) with Micro Focus ALM/QC ensures that the development and QA teams are on the same page when it comes to delivery timelines and have complete visibility into each other’s tasks.
How Azure DevOps (VSTS) – Micro Focus ALM/QC integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Access to QA plans and defects in real time
- Real-time updates on the status of a story, its estimated time of delivery, and any risks that might delay the impending release
- Complete context of the customer requirement and visibility into codes written by the development team & test cases
written by QA team
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
With Azure DevOps (VSTS) + Micro Focus ALM/QC integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Azure DevOps (VSTS) and Micro Focus ALM/QC
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Azure DevOps (VSTS) and Micro Focus ALM/QC bi-directionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘user stories’ from Azure DevOps (VSTS) automatically synchronize to Micro Focus ALM/QC. The completion of the story and the status of test results in Micro Focus ALM/QC against these user stories automatically synchronizes to Azure DevOps (VSTS).
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: Azure DevOps (VSTS) integration with Micro Focus ALM/QC
Problem statement: The communication between the development team and quality control team happens manually. For example, status of a requirement or the results of a test case are to be communicated either through email or phone.
Solution: When Azure DevOps (VSTS) and Micro Focus ALM/QC are bi-directionally integrated, both the teams will be have visibility into each other’s task from their own systems.
- The Product Manager creates a ‘requirement’ in Azure DevOps (VSTS), and attaches a screenshot that includes communication details from the customer.
- The development team receives the ‘requirements’ and starts work on it.
- The ‘requirement’ also syncs to Micro Focus ALM/QC.
- The QA team creates ‘test cases’ against the ‘requirement’ and link the ‘test cases’ to the ‘requirement’.
- Once the development team completes work on the ‘requirement’, it changes the status of ‘requirements’ in Azure DevOps (VSTS) to ‘closed’.
- The QA team runs the ‘test case’ against the closed ‘requirement’. If the ‘test cases’ passes, the QA team changes the status of ‘requirements’ in Micro Focus ALM/QC to complete, which automatically updates the status of ‘requirements’ in Azure DevOps (VSTS). If the ‘test cases’ fails, the QA team analyzes the issue and logs a ‘defect’ in Micro Focus ALM/QC, which reopens the status of ‘requirements’ in Azure DevOps (VSTS).
Benefits of integration for Azure DevOps (VSTS) and Micro Focus ALM/QC users
Azure DevOps (VSTS) users
- No duplication of efforts for entering the same data in multiple systems
- Clear visibility into quality parameters, QA schedule, test cases, and test results
- No dependency on manual communication for making decisions
Micro Focus ALM/QC users
- Real-time updates on the story and associated changes/enhancements
- Access to the business requirements, development status, and associated updates from within Micro Focus ALM/QC
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on the QA cycle and reports