Jama Connect – GitLab Integration overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration brings in collective wisdom to take better decisions, faster.
Best-of-breed systems such as GitLab and Jama Connect bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem and make the work of the product and development team easier. When Jama Connect and GitLab are integrated within the ecosystem, the teams have real-time visibility into the progress of development work & commits made by the development team.
How Jama Connect – GitLab integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Shorten the delivery lifecycle, streamline manual processes and accelerate team velocity
- Track commit volume, track commit trends and edits/changes to commit files in real time
- Enforce authentic commits to make sure each commit is happening against a scheduled and open workitem
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Jama Connect and GitLab
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates all commit related information from GitLab to Jama Connect. It ensures that all data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All the details related to a commit can be synced to Jama Connect in various ways, following are a few examples:
- Synchronize every commit as a separate workitem linked to the workitem against which commit happens
- Synchronize commit details as comment to the workitem against which commit happens
- Change workitem field like ‘close a workitem’ when commit comments contain a pre-defined identifier
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: Jama Connect Integration with GitLab
Problem statement: Lack of commit traceability means product and development teams must manually communicate about the changes and updates for each requirement.
Solution: When Jama Connect and GitLab are integrated, there is end-to-end visibility for a requirement from ideation stage to the commit stage.
- The Product Manager creates a ‘business requirement’ in Jama Connect.
- The development team works on the requirement, tests it, and then commits it in GitLab against the ‘requirement id’ specified in Jama Connect.
- For each commit that happens from the development team, OpsHub Integration Manager synchronizes a ‘commit entity’ linked to the specific requirement id back to Jama Connect. Each ‘commit entity’ includes information such as ‘who did the commit?’, ‘when was the commit done?’, and ‘which part of the code was committed?’.
Benefits of integration for Jama Connect and GitLab users
Jama Connect users
- Complete traceability from Jama Connect to source code in GitLab
- Visibility into the progress of development work, the volume and quality of commits made with full context, in real-time
- Reduced dependency on manual communication to track the completion of a task
- Each commit can be traced back to its respective workitem at any given point in time from GitLab itself
- Enforced checkpoints ensure that no mandatory steps/checks are missed while making a commit – this leads to high success rate for commits