TFVC – Rally Software Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, cross-functional collaboration brings in collective wisdom to make better decisions, faster. Best-of-breed systems such as Rally Software and TFVC bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem and make the work of the product and development team easier.
With Rally Software and TFVC integrated within the ecosystem, the product development has real-time visibility into the commits made by the development team. It is also easier for them to enforce authentic commits against each work item and access the changes/edits made to the commits from Rally Software itself.
How TFVC – Rally Software integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Track commit volume, track commit trends and edits/changes to commit files in real time
- Enforce authentic commits to make sure each commit is happening against a scheduled and open workitem
With TFVC + Rally Software integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates TFVC and Rally Software
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates Rally Software and TFVC bi-directionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All the details related to a commit made against a work item in Rally Software can be tracked from Rally Software itself. For example, for each commit that the development team makes in TFVC, TFVC synchronizes a ‘commit entity’ linked to the specific requirement id back to Rally Software.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: TFVC integration with Rally Software
Problem statement: Lack of commit traceability in the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem can lead to compliance as well as other issues.
- The QA team creates a ‘Defect’ in Rally Software.
- The development team works on the defect, tests it, and then commits it in TFVC against the ‘defect id’ specified in Rally Software.
- For each commit that happens from the development team, OpsHub Integration Manager creates a ‘commit entity’ linked to the specific defect id back to TVFC. Each ‘commit entity’ includes information such as ‘who did the commit?’, ‘when was the commit done?’, and ‘which part of the code was committed?’.
- From Rally Software itself, user can create reports to see commit trend, modules touched in a given release, number of people working on a given feature or project and so on.
Benefits of integration for TFVC and Rally Software users
- Each commit can be traced back to its respective workitem at any given point in time from TFVC itself
- Enforced checkpoints ensure that no mandatory steps/checks are missed while making a commit – this leads to high success rate for commits
Rally Software users
- Complete traceability from Rally Software to source code in TFVC
- Visibility into the progress of development work, the volume and quality of commits made with full context, in real-time
- Reduced dependency on manual communication to track the completion of a task