Our client is a global investment bank and financial services company with a range of banking, investment, asset management and related products and services. Our client uses Atlassian Jira software to support their agile software development efforts across multiple teams and projects. Specifically, they use Jira for planning, issue tracking, and monitoring project progress.
Since multiple teams leveraged various instances of Jira, the client was facing collaboration and visibility challenges around data and reporting. The client was looking for a scalable migration solution that enabled their teams to work in a single, consolidated Jira environment (from multiple Jira instances to a single Jira instance to facilitate effective reporting across teams but needed the migration to take place without disrupting daily business activities or productivity. The size and complexity of the migration needed a comprehensive, zero downtime solution as it could have a potential impact on the productivity of multiple teams involved in over two thousand projects.
The following were some of the key client considerations for migration:
- 1 Move multiple project templates to a single / standard template
- 2 Migrate projects from one instance to another within a standard template
- 3 Adopt the least disruptive migration approach that would not impact teams’ productivity during the migration with ZERO DOWNTIME
- 4 High fidelity data migration
About the Client :A leading US multinational investment and financial services giant.
Region: United states
Industry :Financial Services
Products Used: OpsHub Migration Manager (OMM)
Uptime and High Fidelity Data Migration with OpsHub Migration Manager (OMM)
OpsHub’s Approach and Solution
Keeping the requirements listed above in mind, we worked with key stakeholders on a migration strategy that assured them that the end goals will be met. After assessment and planning, the migration was divided across two effective Proof of Concept (POC) migrations, two pilots with the bulk of the migration happening across six prioritized waves.
Our team worked in tandem with the client and their development teams as the migration would impact 10 Lines of Business (LOB). A well-structured process was outlined that included identifying non-standard issue types, regulatory and critical fields from each Line of Business (LOB). We adopted a factory approach for bulk migration to reduce the validation time.
Seamless Data Migration Supported by Comprehensive Reconciliation & Recovery Mechanisms
Our approach was to carry out the migration in the least disruptive manner to minimize the impact on teams and their deliverables. The PMO office planned out the migration in stages and the OpsHub team ensured that the migration for different projects were completed as per the plan.
The complete migration took five months; with the initial one month focusing on requirements’ gathering, two pilots and two validations of the POCs. Over the next four months over two thousand projects were migrated across 6 waves in a prioritized, phased approach as requested by the customer.
- Zero systems downtime
- High fidelity data migration
- Planned, systematic roll-out and cut-over
- Consolidated Jira environment
- Zero impact on projects which were not a part of migration
- Seamless migration between different versions of source and target Jira instances
- Easy to implement context switch, workflow change and issue type conversion
- Defined field mapping
- Migration supported even when the transitions are different from source to target
- User mapping between systems for enhanced traceability
- On–schedule migration of more than 2000 projects and 5 million artefacts
- Successfully migrated Sprint, Release, Board, Query, 8 issue types as required by the customer
The migration was successfully completed without data loss and with zero downtime. All the projects were migrated with complete traceability and restored links between artefacts even though the artefacts were in different Jira instances. The teams using Jira continued working in their respective systems with full uptime until the migration was completed.
- Enhanced visibility and collaboration with a single, streamlined Jira instance
- Improved reporting
- High availability and uptime of Jira instances during migration optimized productivity
- Preservation of institutional knowledge and historical data from multiple Jira instances including multiple artifacts, attachments, linkages and comments
- Enhanced reporting and transparency across Jira projects and teams
- Improved traceability with user mapping
- Support for atypical transitions or model mismatches between source and target systems
- Improved decision making, compliance and governance
Zero Downtime Migration
We ensure that teams can continue to work in their tools while the migration is ongoing and cut over to the new tool when they are ready.
Complete Data Migration
We mean it! We offer the most complete and result oriented data migration. No data is left behind and compliance is taken care of too.
Factory approach to migration means the effort to migrate increases only marginally even if the number of projects increases from 1 to 1000.