The integration of VersionOne and Helix ALM brings seamless coordination between the product management and development team, which in turn paves the way for a highly productive, agile delivery chain.
VersionOne – Helix ALM Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) environment, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role in delivering quality solutions. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as VersionOne and Helix ALM bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. Integrating VersionOne with Helix ALM helps product management team have real-time visibility into the quality as well as volume of development work managed in a delivery cycle. On the other hand, it gives Helix ALM users clarity on business requirements and expectations.
How VersionOne – Helix ALM integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Visibility into full breakdown of features done in Helix ALM, from VersionOne
- Real-time updates on the status of a story, its estimated time of delivery, and any risks that might delay the impending release
- Access to QA plans and defects in real time
- Complete context of the customer requirement and visibility into codes written by the development team & test cases written by QA team
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
With VersionOne + Helix ALM integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates VersionOne and Helix ALM
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates VersionOne and Helix ALM in a bidirectional manner. It ensures that all data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘user stories ’from VersionOne synchronize to Helix ALM giving the development team visibility into the development work. The product management team using VersionOne also has real-time visibility into the progress of the development work; and therefore, they can plan the iterations better.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: VersionOne integration with Helix ALM
Problem statement: The project management and development team are using VersionOne as a project management system and Helix ALM as a development system. If these two systems are not synchronized, the Project Manager doesn’t have clear visibility into efforts taken to complete a task, status of a task, and similar details to plan work. The development team doesn’t have visibility into changes coming from Project Manager/Customer.
Solution: When VersionOne and Helix ALM are integrated, the Project Manager will have real time visibility into the work of development team, which in turn will improve the overall planning and estimation process. The development team will also have clear context of the changes/updates coming from customer or business teams.
- The Project Manager logs a ‘user story’ in VersionOne.
- The ‘user story’ synchronizes to Helix ALM as ‘Requirements’.
- The QA team creates a ‘test’ in VersionOne. In Helix the ‘test’ synchronizes to VersionOne as ‘Test’.
- The development team works on the requirement and runs the test case against it. The test case fails.
- The status of the ‘test’ updates in VersionOne accordingly.
- The QA team then creates an issue against the test case in Helix, which synchronizes to VersionOne as well.
- The development team works on the ‘issue’, resolves it, runs the test case against it. The test case passes.
- The development team then marks the ‘issue’ as resolved. After resolving the issue the test case is passed which syncs to VersionOne.
- VersionOne story is updated as closed and this closes the requirement in Helix.
Benefits of integration for VersionOne and Helix ALM users
- Visibility into development progress and quality of development work
- Visibility into effort estimation and efforts utilized by development team
- No manual effort required to communicate business priorities to the development team
Helix ALM users
- Real-time updates on backlog items and associated changes/enhancements
- Clear visibility into quality parameters and test results from Helix ALM itself
- No manual effort required to keep the project management team updated on development sttaus