The integration of Visual Studio Team Services – VSTS (Azure DevOps) and HPQC helps in bringing the product development and Quality Assurance (QA) team on the same page. As both the teams have visibility into each other’s task and complete context of customer expectations, the quality of product is better and the delivery cycle is shorter.
HP ALM/QC Azure DevOps (VSTS) Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) ecosystem, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements.
Best-of-breed systems such as VSTS and HP ALM/QC bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. Integration of VSTS with HP ALM/QC ensures that the development and QA teams are on the same page when it comes to delivery timelines and have complete visibility into each other’s tasks.
How HPQC – Azure DevOps (VSTS) integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Access to QA plans and defects in real time
- Real-time updates on the status of a story, its estimated time of delivery, and any risks that might delay the impending release
- Complete context of the customer requirement and visibility into codes written by the development team & test cases
written by QA team
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
With HP ALM/QC + Azure DevOps (VSTS) integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates HP ALM/QC and Azure DevOps (VSTS)
OpsHub Integration Manager integrates VSTS and HPQC bi-directionally. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘user stories’ from VSTS automatically synchronize to HPQC. The completion of the story and the status of test results in HPQC against these user stories automatically synchronizes to VSTS.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: HP ALM/QC Integration with Azure DevOps (VSTS)
Problem statement: The communication between the development team and quality control team happens manually. For example, status of a requirement or the results of a test case are to be communicated either through email or phone.
Solution: When VSTS and HPQC are bi-directionally integrated, both the teams will be have visibility into each other’s task from their own systems.
- The Product Manager creates a ‘requirement’ in VSTS, and attaches a screenshot that includes communication details from the customer.
- The development team receives the ‘requirements’ and starts work on it.
- The ‘requirement’ also syncs to HPQC.
- The QA team creates ‘test cases’ against the ‘requirement’ and link the ‘test cases’ to the ‘requirement’.
- Once the development team completes work on the ‘requirement’, it changes the status of ‘requirements’ in VSTS to ‘closed’.
- The QA team runs the ‘test case’ against the closed ‘requirement’. If the ‘test cases’ passes, the QA team changes the status of ‘requirements’ in HPQC to complete, which automatically updates the status of ‘requirements’ in VSTS. If the ‘test cases’ fails, the QA team analyzes the issue and logs a ‘defect’ in HPQC, which reopens the status of ‘requirements’ in VSTS.
Benefits of integration for HP ALM/QC and Azure DevOps (VSTS) users
HP ALM/QC users
- Real-time updates on the story and associated changes/enhancements
- Access to the business requirements, development status, and associated updates from within HPQC
- No manual efforts needed to keep backend teams updated on the QA cycle and reports
Azure DevOps (VSTS) users
- No duplication of efforts for entering the same data in multiple systems
- Clear visibility into quality parameters, QA schedule, test cases, and test results
- No dependency on manual communication for making decisions