The integration of IBM Rational DOORS with JIRA ensures complete visibility into how each requirement is progressing through the application development lifecycle.
With this integration, the product management team can track the development of each requirement and the development team can have real-time access to any updates/changes made to a scheduled requirement.
IBM Rational DOORS JIRA Integration Overview
In an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) environment, the choice of systems and the collaboration between the cross-functional teams play a great role in delivering quality solutions. While the choice of systems impacts the productivity of a team, the cross-functional collaboration helps the teams get complete context of the business requirements. Best-of-breed systems such as IBM Rational DOORS and JIRA bring rich functionalities to the ecosystem. With the integration of IBM Rational DOORS and JIRA, there will be real-time visibility into business requirements and product development for both development and product management team.
How IBM Rational DOORS – JIRA integration is beneficial for an enterprise
- Track the estimated and actual development effort.
- Trace the requirement breakdown completely – access the features, tasks, sub-tasks associated with the requirement
- Get complete context of the business requirement and receive real-time updates when there is a change in the plan
- Coordinate on the delivery timelines seamlessly with concurrent updates on changes
- Get full traceability into the Quality Assurance (QA) reports from both systems
With IBM Rational DOORS + JIRA integration, enterprises can:
How OpsHub Integration Manager integrates IBM Rational DOORS and JIRA
OpsHub Integration Manager provides bi-directional integration between IBM Rational DOORS and JIRA. It ensures that all historical and current data is available to each user, in that user’s preferred system, with full context, in real-time. All ‘requirements’ from IBM Rational DOORS automatically synchronize to JIRA and all the details associated with the‘requirement’ synchronize back to IBM Rational DOORS. IBM Rational DOORS-JIRA integration also helps product teams in development schedule and effort estimation.
Popularly synchronized entities
Use Case: IBM Rational DOORS integration with JIRA
Problem statement: When the development and requirement management systems are not integrated, any additional update to the ‘requirement’ must be manually notified to the development team.
Solution: When JIRA and DOORS are integrated, any update to a ‘requirement’ in DOORS will be automatically notified to the development team in real time. This will help them with buffer time to internally reschedule the tasks and no updates would ever fall through the cracks.
- The Requirement Management team creates a ‘requirement’ for a feature requested by the customer in the Requirement Management system – DOORS.
- The Product Manager approves the ‘requirement’.
- The ‘requirement’ synchronizes to the development system, JIRA, as a ‘user story’.
- The development team breaks the ‘requirement’ into ‘tasks’ and starts work on the ‘tasks’.
- Meanwhile, the customer adds a small additional request (for example, additional of a new text field) to be included in the ‘requirement’.
- The Requirement Management team updates the ‘requirement’. This update automatically gets notified to the development team as the ‘additional request’ gets synchronized to the user story.
- The development team plans for this additional task.
Benefits of integration for IBM Rational DOORS and JIRA users
IBM Rational DOORS users
- Traceability for requirements throughout the application lifecycle
- Visibility into the progress of development work: status and effort details
- Reduced dependency on manual communication for business decision making
- Access to the business requirements within JIRA and real-time update for any changes, enhancements
- Complete view into the business goals and targets
- Automatic synchronization of requirement status to IBM Rational DOORS saves time for JIRA user